How to integrate fiber in my diet being celiac?
Today we already know that fiber has important functions for the intestinal flora and is essential for a healthy diet. Stopping eating foods with gluten means not eating cereals such as wheat, barley, rye, oats and their derivatives. These foods are rich in vegetable fiber that help the proper functioning of our intestine.
Eliminating them from the diet can cause constipation, so celiacs will have to look for fiber in other cereals and foods to regulate their intestinal transit.
Although the easiest source to find is in whole grains, there are also many sources of gluten-free fiber in fresh fruits and vegetables. There are many options of foods rich in fiber and also gluten-free that we can include in our diet, so below we will present some examples.
5 gluten-free foods rich in fiber:
• Legumes: They are an essential source of fiber and protein of vegetable origin and can be used in different preparations from soups to salads.
• Oilseeds: Oilseeds are plants that provide seeds (sunflower, soya, rapeseed…) or fruits (walnut, almond, pistachio…) that contain oils and fats very important to us; they are a source of energy, vitamins and minerals that help prevent many diseases. In addition, they are also a source of fiber and protein of plant origin.
• Whole grains: As we already know, there are cereals rich in fiber that you can not consume if you are celiac, as is the case with rye, but there are others like brown rice that can perfectly fulfill this function. There would also be the options of adding corn, corn flour, cooked quinoa, amaranth flakes, for example.
• Vegetables: It is recommended to eat them raw and with their shell if possible. In addition to being rich in fiber, they are also a good source of vitamins and minerals.
• Fruits: It is much better to consume them with skin and pulp, as well as raw.
In addition to these tips, it is very important to also worry about drinking a lot of water daily, approximately two liters a day, to facilitate the digestion of fiber. As well as take a healthy, varied and balanced diet and exercise.